At the end of April 2013, ETC Group learned that three biohackers from Singularity University in California had mounted a project on the popular crowdfunding site Kickstarter. It was a plan to carry out the worlds first environmental release of an avowedly Synthetic Biology organism - a glow-in-the dark arabidopsis plant. Shockingly the 'Glowing Plants' kickstarter project promised to mail up to 100 bioengineered seeds to anyone from the United States who gave them $40 online . To date over 4000 people expect to receive syn bio seeds in the post. Even more shockingly they claim that the US Government had agreed not to regulate, assess or monitor this widespread random and nation-wide release of synthetic organisms.
ETC Group is now mounting a counter-kickstarter campaign: - the Kickstopper! Read how you can be part of it.
- About ETC
- International Fora
- Biodiversity: CBD, SBSTTA, IPBES
- Others: ILO, BTWC, Chemicals, Oceans
- Food and Agriculture: FAO, CGIAR, CFS
- Intellectual property: WIPO, EPO, USPTO
- Trade: UNCTAD, WTO
- Social Movements: World Social Forum
- Human Rights & Indigenous: UNPFII, 8J
- Regional: EU, Asia Pacific, Africa, Americas
- Climate: UNFCCC, IPCC
- Sustainable Development: Rio+20, CSD
- News & Blogs