- Operational Definition. It’s time for the CBD to adopt an operational definition of synthetic biology.
- Precaution: Gene drives. Gene drives pose wide ecological and societal threats and should be placed under a moratorium.
- Biopiracy: Digital Sequences. Synthetic biology allows for digital theft and use of DNA sequences – this must be addressed by both the CBD and the Nagoya Protocol.
- Socio-economic Impacts: Sustainable Use. The CBD needs a process to address impacts of synthetic biology on sustainable use of biodiversity.
- Cartagena Protocol: Risk Assessment. Parties to the COP-MOP 8 need to clearly move forward with elaborating risk assessment guidance on synthetic biology.
Learn more -- download the English, Spanish, French or German versions here.